Thursday, September 4, 2008

i m the first at averest....


This photograph, taken by Edmund Hillary, shows Tenzing Norgay on the summit of Mount Everest. The two men became the first people to scale the summit of the mountain, the highest in the world, on May 29, 1953.

Tenzing waves his ice-axe on which are hung the flags of Britain, Nepal, the United Nations and India.

For many years, no one knew whether Hillary or Tenzing had been the first to reach the summit. Both of them simply said that they had ascended together. According to Clark, Tenzing wrote many years later, “A little below the summit Hillary and I stopped. The rope that joined us was thirty feet long, but I held most of it in my hand, so that there was only about six feet between us. I was not thinking of ‘first’ and ’second.’ We went on, slowly, steadily. And then we were there. Hillary stepped on top first. And I stepped up after him.”

No comments: